Friday, January 9, 2009

The Devil Went Down to Wall Street

The devil went down to Wall Street, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man playin' with a market and playin' it hot.
And the devil jumped up on a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a hedge fund trader, too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you built a pretty good ponzi, boy, but give the devil his due
:"I bet a bonus of gold against your soul,'cos I think I'm better than you.
"The boy said: "My name's Johnny and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been.
"Johnny polish up your spin and sell your structured note.
'Cos hells broke loose in Wall Street and the devil steals by rote.
And if you win you get this shiny bonus made of gold.
But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.
The devil started his iPhone and he said: "You're such a sap."
And fire flew from his laptop mouse as he packaged up some crap.
And he pulled the cash into his stash and it made an evil hiss.
Then a band of Senators joined in and the money went amiss.
When the devil finished, Johnny said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
"But if you'll sit down in that chair, right there, and let me show you how its done."
Sale at a new low, down boys, down.
The devil's in the stock of the bankin' clown.
Barney in the bank vault, pickin' out dough.
"Fannie, is your loan good?"
"No, child, no.
"The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
He laid that bailout billion on the ground at Johnny's feet.
Johnny said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I told you once, you son of a gun, I'm as rich as Solomon.
"Sale at a new low, down boys, down.
The devil's in the stock of the bankin' clown.
Barney in the bank vault, pickin' out dough.
"Fannie, is your loan good?"
"No, child, no."

Douglas B. May, CFA, is President of May-Investments, LLC and author of Investment Heresies.



No comments:

Post a Comment